Commissioned Portrait Procedures and Fees
- PORTRAIT PROCEDURES:
- Tina will travel to the client’s location to obtain information needed to complete a commissioned portrait. This would normally include one to two days at the client’s location. During this visit the artist will spend time getting to know the subject, and discuss with the client the details of the portrait including pose, clothing and accessories, setting, composition, and medium. Other factors to be discussed are where the portrait will hang, and any precedent to be followed.
- During this visit, the artist will also complete a digital photo shoot of the subject in one or more changes of clothing, settings and poses. Allow two to three hours for the photography set-up and photographing the subject.
- Following the photo shoot, the artist and client will review the photos on a laptop computer, and together will make final selections of the photo or photos the artist will use as reference to create the portrait in the studio.
- The artist might also choose to complete a head sketch in oil of the subject from life. Approximately two hours is needed to complete the sketch, which can be done at most any location. This sketch is not required, but can be a valuable resource for the artist when planning the final portrait.
- Back in the artist’s studio, a small color sketch of the painting including pose and composition will be completed and presented or sent to the client for approval. This is not for likeness, but to illustrate the color and composition of the finished portrait. A full- sized preliminary graphite drawing of the subject’s face may also be done for likeness, and presented to the client for approval and/or adjustments. Upon approval, these as well as the reference photos are used as the artist begins work on the final painting.
- During the process of creating the painting, the artist may request an additional sitting to be conducted either in the artist’s or the client’s location. Though not mandatory, a final sitting is suggested to complete the portrait, particularly for any minor adjustment necessary for completion of the desired expression of the portrait.
- In some cases, photographs or digital images of the finished portrait can be sent to the client for approval.
- FEES: Portrait fees range from $500 - $5000 and are based on pose, background, and size of canvas.